One of the topics that my readers ask me most is how to thrive working for themselves obviously a broad topic to completely treat in an article, and that each business is different. But I do want to share with you what has worked for me and that is applicable to many cases. This is what I personally helped thrive working on my own:
1. Knowing what you do and where you’re going. seems obvious but many people go through life without knowing exactly what you want. Working on your own is hard and if you’re not sure what you want to do, why (most important) and how far you want to go, it’ll be harder still. I say many times, you have to have a big why you boost in difficult times. For me, the lifestyle that allows me to have my own business is motivating enough to keep working no matter what happens. Everyone has their own reasons and all are good, yes, if your only reason is to have more money, and I say that’s not enough, if not abandon the first opportunity. The first two years are the worst, deal with it and have your reason, your motive, ever present.
It is also important to be clear, at least to some extent, how far you want to go. Want a big business with many employees and franchises? Anything else tiny, work from home? You decide but until you know exactly what it is that you can not focus on what is important and is easy disperses and miss you much time and energy. When you have your goals clear at all times and also what gives you more benefits, it’s easier focus and get results. It is very easy to waste time, so be sure to review your goals frequently.
2. Learning from people who are where you want to be. personally I would not be where I am if it were not for my mentors. I’ve been five with whom I worked in person and many more which I have purchased a course. Of course, an investment of money but I have saved time, mistakes, disappointments and have more than recovered its investment (and yes I too have considered and reconsidered whether or not spend my money because I started with my savings). To me this is crucial. Maybe other people have achieved alone, but probably have taken longer. It depends on you, I got tired of not knowing what to do and to see how time passed and he did not have the results I wanted. So clearly I have every time you want to jump in my business I will have a mentor (actually now I have one).
3. Learn about marketing. no mistake sales marketing and scare us and throw us back to those who are outside the subject. We are afraid, we are ashamed, we associate to deceive or manipulate and so can not. Marketing is not something else to know what you offer to present an attractive and do not have to lie, cheat or manipulate. It is time that you take off the head because if you can not sell you will not have a business.
I started like you, without feeling capable and seeing it as something manipulative and now that I know enough about the topic and how it applies to my business, I love it! That is the question we tend to demonize what we know and we lose many things, with how easy it is to learn and not to be afraid. I now really enjoy continually learning new marketing strategies (especially online), applying my business and teaching my clients to apply it to their own. That neighbor across fool does not mean that you have to do the same. You can run your business as you want and when you are more honest and complete, better (at least that’s my opinion).
If your business is not going well and you want to be a business rather than a hobby, forget training courses that only fatten your resume and start learning to get customers, that changes everything. Training is essential but always maintaining a strategic vision that is not random. You need perfect a technique to improve your work, learn, you need to learn public speaking to the next level, learn, you need to learn marketing, you learn. But do not escudes in courses not to take action, not good to have coaching eighty titles, for example, if you have no customers. You need to be honest to gain good reputation for your business.
4. Be persistent. This is essential, not giving anything away here and as I said last week of my newsletter readers if I fall I get up tenfold once. Work and effort I already tired or unmotivated (very common when you start) or, conversely, more cheerful and relaxed because things are going well (and this is easy throw you off, loosen and see the lack of results a few months later). Do not be fooled we must work hard and so it is imperative to have a reason that drives you at all times. But do not be scared, it’s very rewarding and if you organize well have the freedom and flexibility that, at least for me, makes it all worthwhile.
5. Work your mind. Having your own business is one of the most rewarding things that are personal development level. Of course as you progress will come out insecurities and limiting beliefs that you have to work to not stay stuck in the level where you are. Beliefs about sales and marketing, money, help others, keep up, always leave something, regardless of the level at which you are …
These are the five pillars that have helped me with my business and I think are applicable to all types of entrepreneurship, but most things can be added. What is the most important to you? Tell me in the comments and do not forget to share this article if you helped.